Trapped in a nightmare, Lily falls under the sway of her demons as they lead her in a grotesque dance to the edge of oblivion. She must find the strength to survive, or perish along with the woman she loves.
Evil lurks within Lily's nightmares and creeps into the physical realm. She must defeat it to save the woman she loves.
Inspired by 1920’s German existential film, this contemporary take on Sleeping beauty follows Lily as she fights for control of her demons in order to save her lover from eternal slumber. While asleep in bed, Lily becomes trapped in a nightmare. Haunting figures manipulate her in a grotesque dance that transfers into the physical realm, causing Lily to sleepwalk to the bank of an icy river. The nightmare dance intensifies as she is pulled closer to her doom. Standing in the icy water the face of her lover appears in a heart upon her chest, giving her the strength she needs to defeat the demons, wake up, and throw herself from the river. Now free, Lily searches the forest for the woman she loves, finding her at last in a clearing. A kiss is all it takes.
With a long history of working together on diverse creative projects, our team is excited to be collaborating on the artistic short film Sleepwalker. Each team member is recognized in their field, and committed to delivering a fantastic film.
Most of the members of the Sleepwalker team have been working together for years at a multi-disciplinary writing and arts camp called YouthWrite. Each year the coordinator and supervisors of YouthWrite come together in support of remarkable young artists, teaching, mentoring and supporting them.
Every year we are overwhelmingly inspired by their openness, intelligence, skill and bravery as they create and share their work. We decided it was time to channel that inspiration and build on the creative bond we'd developed.
Sleepwalker explores themes of love, inner turmoil and discovering what it takes to make a stand. It has been our privilege to watch YouthWriters take this journey for 20 years through their art and their interactions with each other.
At YouthWrite LGBT kids know they are in a safe environment to share work that reflects their feelings and identity. Over the years many kids have honoured us with this trust and it is to them and all the kids that shared pieces of themselves over the years that we dedicate Sleepwalker, for it is they who have inspired us.
3) CU match to storyboard 2. We are now in Lily's dream. 4) ECU Lily wakes within her dream.
5) WS Lilly stands alone in darkness, she looks around, movement appears in the corners of the frame. 6) The faces of nightmare figures emerge from the darkness and crawl towards Lily.
7) Nightmare figures continue to emerge. 8) Once they reach Lily their nightmarish white hands grab at her nightgown, she tries to push them away.
9) Back in the real world, Lily tosses and turns in bed. 10) MS Still asleep Lily sits bold upright in bed and swings her legs onto the floor.
11) WS-CU Lily sleepwalks from the bed to the door. 12) CU Lily's hand reaches for the door knob and turns it.
13) WS of nightmare dance, grotesque figures surround Lily and though she fights them, their force is greater than her will. They control her. 14) WS Lily alone in a field walks slowly but steadily towards the forest.